Wednesday, January 13, 2010

First Email Home

Well the first week is finally over. The first week has been way fun and cool. My branch presidency asked me to write a hand written letter home on Sunday, just to let yall know I've made it and things are ok. So I sent that off on Monday, so that will give a description of my first few days. The days are so long here. We have so much stuff going on, I lose track of everything. Well I think my letter home contained the first half of Sunday so now I'll finish that day off. After sacrament meeting we got to walk to the temple and stay there for like 45 minutes and take pictures. After that we went to a great fireside given by the MTC Administrative Director on D&C 121. After that we got to watch the Joseph Smith movie which was way awesome. I thorouglhy enjoyed my time.




On Monday we got to have 2 teaching experiences. They have a building here where people from the community/church volunteer to come in and be taught as investigators (sometimes you do get a real life investigator, sometimes an inactive, or sometimes a bishop). Myself and Elder McCarty (my companion) did pretty well. We both have a little different teaching methods which is interesting to work out sometimes. You can see the importance of planning ahead of time so you both are on the exact same page when it comes to teaching.



On tuesday, we first had to do service. Elder McCarty and I had to clean 6 bathrooms in a building in about fifty minutes. We spent about 20 minutes in the first bathroom, and then we got kinda yelled at and had to fly thru the rest of them. It was some serious speed cleaning. We taught again and this time it kinda hit me just how simply we need to teach things. And you really have to know your stuff in order to teach simply. This whole first week all the teachers have stressed is to get to know your investigator and teach their needs. It doesn't matter what you know, how well you think you did, all that matters is if you addressed there needs. So you have to know everything about the lessons in PMG to know the specific concepts to bring up to an investigator. Last night, Elder L. Tom Perry also came and spoke to us for our devotional. This is only the second time I've seen an apostle of God. He spoke on the First Lesson in PMG and the power of it. He bore his testimony throughout and how this is the first thing investigators will hear and how we need to declare it. It was way cool. After I had leadership training.



A cool story. We have a sister missionary in our district who is usually very very happy, smily, and fun. But yesterday at breakfast she was just like dead. You could tell something was wrong. So the day went on, and I saw her in the afternoon in the same mood. I had a feeling to offer her an invitation for a priesthood blessing. I pulled her aside and told her that if she would like one, she could come speak to me or any of the zone leaders. She then told me she wanted a blessing of comfort. So Elder McCarty and I gave her a blessing. This was the first time I have ever given a blessing of comfort. I can't remember the words I said, but I do remember it was way cool because things kept coming to my head. After that, we seperated and I was just praying she would feel better (I still wasn't sure what her original problems were). The next time we saw her, she was totally back to her usual self. Then I found out she had stil not received a letter home and other things. So then I started praying she would get a letter that day at dinner time (I have to check the mail 2 times a day for our district). I went and got the mail, praying a letter would be there for her. And there was one!!! I was so happy to give her that letter. She was so happy the rest of the day and it was an awesome experience to see how the priesthood can bless someones life. It was way cool how it worked out.



Well I got Dad's letter yesterday too. It was so nice to get a letter. I really didn't think it would feel this good to get a letter, but it was awesome. I really enjoyed reading it. I've probably read it multiple times now. Tell him it was great and to keep writing me. None of the leaders would tell us who won the game b/c of distractions, so it was nice to hear. Glad everything is going well at home.



Well I only get 30 minutes a week to be online with letters. So if it is free, then send me letters via dearelder.com or something. When you send it that way, I get a hard copy printed off and can read it throughout the week so I can spend more time typing back home now and telling yall all the good stuff. I have 3 more minutes of computer time and if the timer hits 0, then the whole computer shuts off. Thanks for all the support and I will write back next week.



Love,

Elder Perkins

No comments:

Post a Comment